We at Southern Oregon Neuropsychological Clinic are pleased you have been referred to our practice. SONC has been serving greater Southern Oregon for over 20 years. Our mission is to provide the highest quality neuropsychological assessments in a professional yet comfortable environment.
Why was I referred?
Your medical provider has referred you for neuropsychological assessment of your brain functions, such as your attention, memory, and language abilities. Information about how your brain is functioning can help your medical provider know what diagnoses and treatments are right for you.
How should I prepare for my appointment?
- Complete enclosed intake paperwork. You do not need to mail it back. Please bring it with you to your appointment.
- Consider arranging to have a family member, caregiver, or friend accompany you to your appointment. Someone who knows you well can support your and help describe your history to the neuropsychologist. One person may accompany you. If you would like more than one person with you, please call our office ahead of your appointment time to see if an exception can be made.
- Learn more about what neuropsychology is by visiting our clinic website (www.soneuroclinic.com) and clicking on “Learn More” at the bottom left of the screen.
What should I do the day of my appointment?
- Take your medications as prescribed. No labs will be drawn, so there is no need to stop any medications or fast.
- Make sure you bring the following to your appointment:
- Photo ID.
- Insurance cards. Please inform us immediately of any recent change of insurance.
- Means of payment, if needed. Any deductible or copay will be collected prior to your appointment.
- Completed intake paperwork. If you have misplaced it or have not had the chance to complete it, still go to your appointment. You can complete it upon arrival to the clinic.
- Current medication list.
- Glasses, hearing aids, or other assistive devices you may need.
What should I expect after I arrive?
- Your check-in time (see above) is 30 minutes before your scheduled time with your assigned provider. This gives you time to complete the check-in process. The receptionist will review your intake paperwork and ask you to complete some additional paperwork.
- There may be a delay before you see the provider. We strive to keep appointments moving forward in a timely fashion, but just like any other doctor’s office, we sometimes run behind schedule. Please be patient. Be assured that your provider will not rush you through the process once it is your turn!
- Please plan on being in the clinic for 1.5 to 2 hours for this initial appointment. If you are coming for interview and testing on the same day, you may be at the clinic for up to 5 to 6 hours.
What will happen during the appointment?
- Your provider will ask questions to learn about your current concerns and how they impact you. The nature of the questions will depend on the nature of your concerns. Your provider will also ask questions about your history/background, including about sensitive topics like your mental health and substance use. If you are accompanied by a family member, caregiver, or friend, that person can remain with you for this part of the assessment. This portion typically lasts 30-45 minutes.
- Next, anyone accompanying you will be asked to return to the waiting room, and your provider will administer to you a brief (10-15-minute) test of cognitive abilities like memory.
- You may be asked to schedule a second appointment for a session of neuropsychological testing. Testing sessions typically range from 1.5 to 4 hours. They are sometimes shorter or longer. Testing may be split over multiple days. If needed or desired, someone can accompany you to this appointment and wait in the waiting area while you complete testing. To be clear, you may not be accompanied into the testing room.
- You may also be asked to schedule a follow-up appointment, which is when you meet with your provider to review assessment results and recommendations. It is often helpful to have a trusted person with you to help you remember and follow-through with recommendations. Plan on being in the clinic for about 1 hour for this appointment.
Southern Oregon Neuropsychological Clinic